Friday 30 January 2009

Cx3: Twitter, Stephen Fry and halibut

Twits, Tweets and Twitterati are infectiously spreading at epidemic paces. Yet, the diarrhoeic verbal that Twitter generates is completely aligned to today’s disposable and celebrity-driven society.

Famous celebrity Twitterers/Tweeters such as Stephen Fry and Andy Murray have been pinpointed as advocates of Twitter. Stephen Fry ranted on Twitter today:

“Papers are asking me to write articles on Twitter. I've declined. Twittermania will calm down I hope. Forgive multiple tweets, but…I just know, although I don't read papers, that the "arentcha just sick of Twitter?" "Who cares what Fry ate?" articles will begin…Even though the only people talking about Twitter are the papers, the rest of us are just quietly doing it. It'll calm down though…and we'll be able to get on with it without all this nonsense. Rant over. XX”

Do I want Stephen Fry to tell me “I had halibut for lunch. I'll tweet you my dinner menu in a hour”? Well, why not! It is no different from a candid celebrity picture appearing in Heat magazine with the exception it is coming from the celebrity themselves rather than chasing paparazzi or a hungry journalist.

The day will probably come when a celebrity will try to go to court for invasion of privacy – but hey guys, check your privacy permissions.

Stephen Fry’s dinner menu came through an hour later: “The Ivy Club offered splendid squid followed by smoked haddock. Having a fish n seafood splurge at the moment. Quick dinner, home to bed x.”

RELATED LINKS:
Cx3 blog entry: The growth of Twitter
Cx3 blog entry: Twitter flies Hudson plane around the world
Cx3 blog entry: BBC sports Olympic map Twitters for gold

No comments:

Post a Comment